AFRICA NEWS LETTER
Friday Feb 10, 2017
We did our first Jabulanni Kids (aka VBS) in the informal settlement of Msawawa. There were about 60 kids who came and 20 who raised there hand for the salvation prayer. We had a team of about 6 including myself that led the JK event.
To start we walked around the Msawawa and gathered children and told mommas to come to the soccer pitch for the program. It is amazing how so many kids, of all ages, cling to you so fast. I had two that never left my side the whole program. After inviting the kids, we started the program with songs and jive (what they call dancing here). When doing this program our motto is "If you don’t feel silly doing it, you are probably not doing it right". These children love the energy we bring, and to interact with them and give them the best time, you have to give it your all and more. After the songs we go over the rules, and then go straight into the lesson. Our goal is to teach the children how the world was created through the story of creation. My friend Bethany told the days of creation using props that the children helped with. Then, we have members of our team act out the story of Adam and Eve (or Ava as they pronounce it here) while someone else tells the story, which was my part! Next, we show that kids how we can not get to heaven on our own, but how Jesus came down to earth to save us through dying on the cross. Last, we teach the children a memory verse with motions, and ask them if they would like to have Jesus as their friend.
After the program I had the chance to meet three children and hang out with them for a few minutes. They were the cutest things ever! I enjoyed my time out in the community, I felt like I was right where I belong. (I attached a photo below of the three little ones.)
We did our first Jabulanni Kids (aka VBS) in the informal settlement of Msawawa. There were about 60 kids who came and 20 who raised there hand for the salvation prayer. We had a team of about 6 including myself that led the JK event.
To start we walked around the Msawawa and gathered children and told mommas to come to the soccer pitch for the program. It is amazing how so many kids, of all ages, cling to you so fast. I had two that never left my side the whole program. After inviting the kids, we started the program with songs and jive (what they call dancing here). When doing this program our motto is "If you don’t feel silly doing it, you are probably not doing it right". These children love the energy we bring, and to interact with them and give them the best time, you have to give it your all and more. After the songs we go over the rules, and then go straight into the lesson. Our goal is to teach the children how the world was created through the story of creation. My friend Bethany told the days of creation using props that the children helped with. Then, we have members of our team act out the story of Adam and Eve (or Ava as they pronounce it here) while someone else tells the story, which was my part! Next, we show that kids how we can not get to heaven on our own, but how Jesus came down to earth to save us through dying on the cross. Last, we teach the children a memory verse with motions, and ask them if they would like to have Jesus as their friend.
After the program I had the chance to meet three children and hang out with them for a few minutes. They were the cutest things ever! I enjoyed my time out in the community, I felt like I was right where I belong. (I attached a photo below of the three little ones.)

Comments
Post a Comment