My Scariest Moment





            When in fourth grade, a dream was placed inside of me. When visited by two Sudan missionaries at my school I sat and listened to their stories and the miracles God had done. How they built churches, lived in war, ministered the gospel for a living, It all sounded so exciting! “Risking your life to save others, that’s what I want to do!” When I thought that, I immediately heard in a soft whisper “You are going to Africa to be a missionary.” Being in fourth grade I didn’t think much of it, but little did I know that years down the rode it would become reality.

            In the summer of 2012 my dream to go to Africa as a missionary became reality. That’s when things got scary. In my head it sounded like a piece of cake, but was I wrong. Being fourteen years old and having a passion to travel to Africa at a young age; I couldn’t go by myself. My mom having gone on a mission’s trip before decided to come with me. The summer of 2011 we signed up to go and had a year to raise nine thousand dollars. For a fourteen year old girl who can’t even afford a soda at the store without asking her parents for money, it was a scary reality to step into. However, God called me to go so I knew, in my heart, He was going to supply. I just needed to tell my head that. I started right away on bake sales, flyers, dinners, car washes, anything that could help raise money for my mission’s trip.

            A year passed and it was the night before our departure. We still needed two thousand dollars. I was praying hard, starting to second guess this, doubting that the money was going to come in, but God is and was my provider. I received a phone call around ten o’clock that night saying, “Whatever is left to pay, it’s paid for.” With tear filled eyes and a quivering lip I felt the weight of doubt and fear lift off my shoulders. “This is it, I’m going! This is reality!” The next morning I said goodbye to my family and stepped onto that plane with a confidence and boldness that could have only come from God. I went to Africa expecting change in others and in myself and what I got was so much more. I stepped onto foreign soil with expectancy and prepared to change Africa.

            The passion for missions in Africa given to me in fourth grade seemed like a fairytale. Never would I have thought in a million years that it would become reality. Sometimes pursuing our passion can be scary, it was for me and still is. There is always that fear of failure, but we shouldn’t let fear hinder us from our passion. Instead it should motivate us. I thought my passion was too big, too big for God, but God proved me wrong. He out did Himself by providing a way where there seemed to be no way and stripping fear from me. For those God calls He equips don’t let fear tell you otherwise.


Comments

Popular Posts